Sunday, July 13, 2014

Wandering Around Central Idaho

My original plan was to take a five day solo bikepacking trip starting in Ketchum, ID, heading north to Stanley, heading west toward Idaho City, then heading east back to Ketchum. A total distance of around 320 miles on dirt and paved roads.

Craters of the Moon

I started my trip with a quick visit to Craters of the Moon National Monument. The ranger at the visitor center told me there was a cave tour starting in 10 minutes and if I hurried I could still catch it. I approached an older guy standing near the trail that took you out to the caves...thinking maybe he was the tour guide? He wasn't. He had been there for the past two days as part of a stargazing group. He asked for some help lifting a 50lb counterweight for his telescope and I obliged. We got talking and he asked what I was doing out there. I explained my bike trip plans and how I was on my way to Ketchum. He told me I was going the wrong way, the drive to Ketchum was boring. He suggested turning around and heading back to Arco and then going north to Challis then west to Stanley. Oh and of course making a stop in Mackay (where he used to be mayor) and taking the mine hill tour he helped put together.




 Mackay Mine Hill Tour

Mount Borah



Bayhorse Ghost Town

Heaven

The old man's advice was good! It was a very scenic drive with some cool old buildings and a ghost town along the way. And Stanley? It was love at first sight. 

I found a camping spot near Redfish Lake and began organizing my gear for my bikepacking trip. All the gear in it's appropriate pack I settled in for the night. I had a bit of a headache so I took some ibuprofen and squirmed into my sleeping bag to enjoy this view and wait for sleep to come...


I woke up feeling horrible. The headache was much worse and I was really nauseated. Not the best way to start a solo bikepacking trip along a pretty remote route. I didn't feel good about venturing off alone while feeling like that. I settled on just doing day trips and maybe an overnighter, but where I wouldn't be more than a day away from my car if I got more sick. I still carried all or most of my gear as if I were on a multi-day bikepack trip. I also only slept and ate at places that would have been available by bike along the route. 








By the end of the second day I was feeling better in terms of no longer having a headache and being nauseated. But for the entire trip my energy level was super low. It took a lot more time and effort than it should have. I didn't get the trip I was planning for, but it was still well worth it. I ended up with five solid days to explore a beautiful part of central Idaho and take in the abundant scenery and solitude. Three days by bike and two by car and foot. 






No comments:

Post a Comment