Sunday, February 6, 2011

Starry Nights


Night rides are pretty new to me. This winter I've been going on a lot of them though. Largely because, well, it's winter and there isn't a whole lot of daylight. I've also found that the snow conditions are nice at night for biking. It also helps that I bit the bullet and bought some nice bike lights last summer for the 24 Hours of Moab.

Thursday night I pulled up to the Pine Hollow trailhead and was the lone vehicle in the lot. The sky was clear, the air a crisp 12 degrees. It was still pretty light outside, but a couple stars were starting to appear. I bundled up and headed up the trail. In this case it's really just a snow covered road...but in this case I still call it a trail....

I love mountains. During the day the mountains and their detailed features rule the landscape. During the night it's the sky that rules. I love watching the slow transition between the two! I rode up the trail enjoying the view of the transition. Pretty soon the mountains were just dark silhouettes and the attention grabber was the brilliant stars in a clear sky. No one was around. Just me and the sound of the snow crunching under my tires. I stopped frequently to admire the view and take in the silence. I'm starting to really like this snow bike thing...and this night ride thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment